Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Green Thing

   I got this in an email this last week and I just had to send it on in a way different from just the email forward. I have no idea who wrote the original, so I am not taking credit from someone else this is not something I wrote.
     In the line at the store, the cashier told an older woman that she should bring
her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the
green thing back in my day."
The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation
did not care enough to save our environment."
She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in
its day.
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer
bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized
and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really
were recycled.
But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every
store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb
into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.
But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.
Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have
the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling
machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry the clothes.
Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always
brand-new clothing.
But that old lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back
in our day.

   Until we talk again, yall do the green thing and I will keep on hanging my clothes outside to dry, and making quilts out of left over fabric, scraps, and other peoples clothes.
Have a very quilty weekend.
Tennye

1 comment:

FeltByRae said...

I love this! Funny and true

Even though I was the eldest I still had hand-me-downs from my cousins, which were then passed on to my younger sister, not a lot got wasted in our family!