Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fabric, Stash or New

  How are all of you today, I hope, that if you are in the path of "Isaac", you will be safe. I have family who live in New Orleans, and Baton Rouge, so we are keeping a watch on things. I am sure there will be a need for some new quilts for those who are even now losing homes and possessions. I hope that I will have time to do just that when the time comes.
  Well, time to move on to the topic of this post. This post is a result of my reading the same magazine article in Quilters Newsletter that spurred me to write about thread and about documenting the quilts you make. So I ask, do you plan your quilts around your stash, or do you plan and then go shopping for the fabric? I read this article and I noted that she was able to tell what fabric line it was from and the name of the manufacture. I must say I do not know those pieces of information about any fabric in my stash, and I seldom notice those things when I go to a store to purchase fabric.  I think she may have even said something about where she purchased her fabrics.
    I know the selvedge often has that printed on it, but since I usually cut that off as the first cut when beginning the cutting of my quilt. Then it goes in a bag I plan to use to make some selvedge project in the future. hahahah I am not sure that will ever happen, but they are saved never the less. Needless to say I usually don't go back to that bag and try to match up fabrics so that I know what the name of the fabric line is, or the manufacturer either.  Is this important when you plan to put your quilt in a competition ? I have never made a quilt to put in a competition, and I don't know if I ever will, but if I do, is this information something I am supposed to have?
I am not sure I will ever make a quilt for a quilt show, I am not that secure.
  Please tell me if you are a competitor in quilt shows. I would like to hear from a real person who does compete. Not that the one who wrote the article was not a real person. I simply meant I have not known anyone who competes, and on those same lines, I have not gotten any rules for competing in a quilt show. I wonder if I will ever think I am good enough to put a quilt in a show. Okay, so on we go, I have not been taking many pictures lately, but maybe I will do better.
  Until the next time, yall have a wonderful week.
Tennye

1 comment:

Kats Studio said...

Love, love, love that shoe print fabric. It's so bright and colorful. I don't keep up with the fabric line or designer. I just pull together what I like. I have read some notes on competition quilts and the only thing about fabric I have seen was the type, cotton, linen, etc.