Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Buy Local

  I got an email yesterday from the local Bernina/ quilt shop that is less than a mile from my home. They are having to close their doors for various reasons. One of the reasons is the economy has gotten bad and they no longer make enough money to cover what is cost to keep the store open. On top of this the husband has been diagnosed with fast moving Alzheimer disease. He is the sewing machine repair man and just a general part of the running of the store and sales of the machines. I must say I have have cried for this family and what they are going through. I am sad for them as well as the local group that spends time and money in this store. It looks like we will all have to drive much further for our classes and fabrics now. I know there are health issues involved here as well as the financial ones, however, if they made enough income from their business would they be able to stay open? I have not attempted to open my own fabric store, so I am not speaking as a professional. I have been involved in the beginning of a new store, and after just a few months she was able to see that she would be able to pay off her loan in half the time she had expected to. Would it be possible to offer your customer a better price for fabric and still pay your bills? I just don't know, but what I do know, is I will do my best to buy local when I can to try and keep the stores open that I count on for fabric and patterns and classes.
  Until next time yall have a very quilty week,
Tennye

No comments: