Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

RAIN !!!!!

We are finally at a point of getting some real rain, I am so happy I could cry. I realize we may also get some hail and thunder and lightening, but the rain is much needed. I am sorry I have been off for a while, but I have been working so hard on this thirties quilt. I finally had to take a day off today just to let my fingers and shoulders recover. I also needed to make something, anything really just finish something. So I did, I finished a UFO that I have had almost quilted for three years or more. I somehow measured incorrectly and the backing was too short on two sides and then too long on one side and just right on the other. I was not sure what I wanted to do to fix it. Then I thought I was completely out of the fabric, and what to do, what to do.  Well, while looking for something else two or three weeks ago I found this little piece in a corner of my closet. I was so excited to find it that I got it out and put it on the sewing UFO pile to complete. Today I took the time to do just that.
This is one of those quilts that I started with my first group of ladies, I met with for three or four years. We met once a month at the church and we made new projects for learning and for charitable giving. We made bibs for the babies born in the church and we often tried to make projects from patterns we had never made. This one is a stack and whack that we just kind of played with. I saw one and we made a copy of the pattern but I don't remember really using it. I had 12 fabrics, and I cut them into a square about two inches larger than the final block.  I knew I was going to make a star( yes it is a star) like I learned to draw in kindergarten.  Stack them all up and make the first cut. Take one piece of the top fabric and place it on the bottom of the stack. Make the next cut, and again take one of the top fabrics and place it on the bottom of the stack and make your next cut. Then I figured out 12 was too many fabrics and it should have been 6 or less.  I goofed a little on my first cut and that is probably why it has been incomplete for so long. Then there was the backing issue. 
 I hope you all will forgive me for being a little iffy over the next few weeks while I am working my fingers to callouses on the quilting of this quilt. I will be back and in full swing as soon as it is complete, I promise, with the scraps I have been telling you we would get under control. So please have a very quilty week until I can be back.
Tennye

1 comment:

Linda said...

this is turning out so bright and pretty!
Rain? We don't live that far from the Austin area and we have clouds but no rain! It almost sprinkled today. I think I saw about 10 to 20 drops and then it stopped! :o(