Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Fires and My Work

  Well, I have been frazzled with the fires all around us, and therefore I have not had a chance or the inclination to sew for the last four or five days. At one point on Sun. we were very literally surrounded by fires. We have been very grateful to have been saved from the fires , but also sad , sad, sad for those who have been evacuated from their homes. The news has said there are somewhere around 700 or more homes that have been completely destroyed by fire. So many have lost so much, and I want to help and even feel some what guilty to be so protected as we have been so far.  Last night we had the closest fire, and I loaded my van with a lot of stuff. I have decided to leave it there for a day or so, and hope I don't need it to be there. Safe is better than sorry, and that is what I have been told my entire life.
  My girls and I have a movie we enjoy watching, that is about a girl who goes to Ireland to ask her boyfriend to marry her. It is a comedy of errors how she gets lost and then has a hard time getting to where he is. In that time she and the man, who ends up saving her through  all the mess she has to go through, discuss the fire alarm going off and what would you get to take out in that ten seconds.  I have heard about that ten seconds to get out, but never thought I would do what I did. I always thought I would get my pictures and clothes first. I had a plan in my mind, or so I thought. When it came to us yesterday, not ten seconds, but still time to think about getting out. I was surprised to see I got the three quilts I have here that are not mine, but belong to someone else. I made plans for the things I would get when the time came, and I packed some bags and funny thing, I grabbed all of my hanging pants and pajama pants and put them in the van. They are still there. hahahaha I did not feel threatened all weekend, and even though my daughters packed a suitcase and when they went to work on Tue. after the holiday weekend, took a suitcase and some of their most important things. My sewing machine was on the list, and I got all the feet and attachments to my machine in a bag. I may leave some of those packed for a while too.
  Writing this has been very healing for me, and I finally believe I not only can but want to go sew again. This is the first time I have felt that way in at least four or five days. It feels good, so I am off to the sewing room and wishing you all a very quilty week and I will be back soon.
Tennye

1 comment:

Linda said...

I hope the fires continue to miss you! We are seeing the smokey haze in the air and feeling it in our eyes even here - south of San Antonio!I have also wondered what I would take if I had to grab something quickly! It might show us what is important to us.