Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine Day

  I do wonder sometimes just how the Valentine tradition came to be. I have heard about a ?? centuries ago priest, who is not a Saint, but don't know the story. I have also heard the same can be said of Valentine as Christmas, that it was a heathen tradition that the Christians chose to use for their own purposes. Either way, I have a love hate relationship with this particular holiday. My daughters have for years called it the "singles awareness day" and tried to plan something to do with other single friends. This year is a little different, the middle one (Aften) has a boyfriend. She had a bad break up several years ago and has been single for a long time. Older daughter( Aislynn) has a date for tomorrow night, but not tonight, so I think she is planning to cook for me. Hubby is taking me out for lunch, since he works nights these days. In the past we sort of celebrated our second date, by doing what we did that night. We had a lovely meal around the fire pit in my back yard with beef kabobs and rice, and a lovely bottle of wine. I may try to plan something like that for him on the weekend, since we have not gotten to do it for a few years. Before I met my husband I was mostly single on the day, and rather than find a fun way to handle it like my girls did, I just hated it. I am glad they were more secure and creative than I was. Hubby came in yesterday with a lovely vase of carnations, which are my favorite flowers. I created from a pre formed heart wreath a lovely door decoration with ribbon and silk roses. I didn't take a picture of it, nor did I take one of my flowers. I am just glad I have found some time to get on the computer and write today. It has been a hard year so far, and I have gotten very little stuff done in the sewing room.
   I am still working on the t-shirt quilts, and I had a snafu the other day. I was doing the prep work on the t-shirts and sewing the sashing to each block, when I realized I had mixed up the shirts and I was putting some of the ones I was supposed to save for the second quilt in the first one. I am not using the same pajamas for both quilts sashing, so I had to unsew some of the sashing on a few of the squares. I finally got that all straightened out and I am starting to make progress again. It is so frustrating when I make that kind of mistakes. This woman was fond of red, and I am having to be creative with placement so that it is not too red in spots, and not enough in others. I can lay it out on the floor, but that is hard on the back and I am quilting it as I go to avoid that this time. So I have to do it on my bed, as the kitchen table is not big enough.
  A few years ago two of my girls did a cruise with friends , and asked me to make them bags to use when they got off the ship in port. I did , but they asked kind of late so I was sewing right up to the last minute. I took a few short cuts because of time on the last one. Well, that was Aften's and she still lives here so when she started making mustache heart key chains. She is carrying them to work with her so she can sew when she has down time at work.  I noticed some of the short cuts have started to show and look very bad. I can't have her carrying something I made that looks bad, so yesterday, I took apart some of it and fixed the problems. I feel much better about her carrying it. I did get a picture of that, but you know me I have not gotten them on the computer yet.
  Well, we got daddy home from the hospital and he seems to be doing pretty good. He has several ulcers in his stomach though, so they have temporarily taken him off some of his heart meds. It seems he was taking 3 that are known to cause ulcers, but no one thought to give him something to protect his stomach. This was the scariest of all his stays in the hospital. Over the four days he was there they gave him three units of blood. He spent most of the time in the ICU, and he has never had to stay there before. We were pretty sure he was about to die the last time he was there. Also this was kind of a surprise to all of us since he seemed to be feeling so much better than he has in so long. I am glad he is home, and I am trying to get my exercise back on track so I can handle the stress better. Well, I need to get ready for lunch so until I can get back I hope you will have a very quilty week.

No comments: