Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Chenille

Hi, thought I would share with all of you what I am working on this week. I am making some Christmas ornaments that I hope to sell in a craft show in November. I have lots of things I am making that I hope will sell, but this one I though might be of some interest to you guys. So here we go.
I bought a lovely little Fat quarter package of six fabrics in the green range. I laid them out and stacked them together. To make sure they didn't shift during the process, I used a reposition able spray adhesive.
I choose to stack them from dark on the bottom to light on top. I thought it would create depth in the trees.
With the final color being the lightest, shade of lime green.
Next I used a pencil and a ruler and starting in the middle drew a line and then continued to draw lines at 1/2 inch apart.
Then I used the drawn lines to sew the layers together.
 At this point I had several choices of what to do next. The next step in making chenille is to cut the fabric between the sewn lines. I wasn't sure that I wanted to do that at this point so I drew the shape of the tree I am making and cut them out first.
Using a very sharp thin pair of scissor I cut right down the middle of each sewn line, on each tree.
Oops, I got ahead of myself. This is when I got out my water bottle that I use to train my cats to stay off things. I changed the spray from a stream to a misty spay.
 After I sprayed them just to moisten it a little I got out the new foot brush/lava rock. This brush has very stiff bristles.
Using a circular motion I roughed up the cut edges, with the brush. It makes a little bit of a stringy mess, but it was fun to do anyway.
This is the finished product and I will from here start to decorate these little trees with ornaments, and a topper like you would your home tree, then I will add a hanger so they can be hung on a home tree.
Well, these are just one of the many things I am working on as I said so maybe I will do another tutorial on one of the other things I am making.
Have a very quilty week and I will talk to you soon.
Tennye

No comments: