Pages

Monday, June 2, 2008

Learn to Quilt-Lesson One

Hello to all who may be reading my blog. I have not been consistent with my writings and I know that. I have taken that into consideration when I decided to offer to you a free class on "How to Quilt". I have not decided how many classes this will consist of, however, I shall begin at the beginning . I would not want the beginner to find themselves confused or distressed in the learning process. I personally am a kinetic learner, who is better off by being shown what to do and then doing it. However others learn visually and others learn by hearing. I do not have the capability of teaching by voice. However I am able to use photos as well as my words and if at all possible drawings. So for any interested this will be class or lesson 1.

Lesson One
Quilting is the process of putting together three layers . Generally it is also a process of cutting larger pieces of fabric into small pieces, then sewing them back together. To use as one of the layers in the quilt. Quilts have traditionally been used for warmth, in a utilitarian manner. They have also been used as a decoration. Over the centuries many have used them for other reasons as well. In the Bible times they were used as clothing to protect in war. Almost as a shield.
Currently we use quilts for many things including the traditional ones of warmth and decoration. Many artists use fabric as their personal method of creating. So history and descriptions aside now we will move on to the process of learning what and how to quilt.
Quilt fabric is generally 100% cotton however there are other fabric choices for different times.
For our purposes until we get to future lessons we will recommend only using Cotton. Many discussions have centered around how to handle your fabric. The general thought is you should wash all fabric prior to using it. I suggest you wash it in smaller pieces so that it is easier to handle. Iron after washing and if you want you may use starch to give it a crispness. This will make it easier to cut.
Tools- Well, the tools of the trade as you say are those that you use when making quilts, but also the same as the ones used for sewing in general. Scissors, thread, needles, thimbles, pins, and then you move on to other newer tools. Rotary cutter and mat, rulers, and template material, along with many new things we will learn about along the way.
That is all we are going to do today. Next lesson will be next Mon. and we will start with a project you may use to learn to quilt.
Thank you for joining me and I look forward to seeing you next time.
Tennye

No comments: