Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A New Endeavour

  Well, I have mentioned to you the upcoming quilt I need to make, or maybe two. I have not planned and designed a quilt in several years now. I don't put my quilts in shows and I have not entered any competitions with my quilts, so I just feel like, why reinvent the wheel, every time I make a new quilt. I find a pattern I like and tweak it to fit my needs. This time I needed a pattern that would include blocks of multiple sizes. I knew it would take forever to find a quilt with the measurements I needed, so, out came the graph paper pad and my pencils. I spent an hour or so figuring out the blocks and the overall plan of blocks and borders. Then for over an hour I searched for my block book. I had several of the 100 Block magazines and of course many quilt books. However my favorite book has multiple sizes for all the blocks in it. It is" Around the Block Again" by Judy Hopkins. I have made so many quilts with the help of this book. I find the block I want to use and she has already done the math for any size I might want. Ironically I never made it to her book, to look for a block. I was given a block a day calendar for Christmas a couple of years ago and I happened to find it while looking for the block book. On a whim I started looking through it for blocks in one of the sizes I need. I found Cupids Arrow Point block with a finished size of 12 in. I love it and since I have planned a heart block for the corner stones of the border it just fits this quilt. Bonus there is a nice sized center for adding photo blocks of friends and family.
  Well, gotta go finish up lunch so until next time, yall have a very quilty day.
Tennye

No comments: